Skip to main content
A1 A1
Search ends in tragedy
  • Updated

HIGH POINT — A day that began with several hundred people turning out in hopes of finding a missing 81-year-old woman ended with news that police thought they had found her body a mile from her home late Tuesday afternoon.

The body was found in a wooded area in the 2300 block of Hickswood Road, the High Point Police Department said Tuesday evening. Foul play isn’t suspected in the death, police said.

No other details were released.

Heddie Dawkins, who had dementia, had been missing since she left her home on Blockhouse Court around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday and apparently accidentally locked herself out. The High Point Police Department and other area agencies conducted an extensive search in a 3-mile radius of Dawkins’ house.

Dawkins touched the lives of students as a counselor at High Point Central High School and Welborn Middle School before she retired in 2007.

Earlier on Tuesday morning, several hundred people from across the city and the Triad fanned out with High Point Police Department officers across neighborhoods near Dawkins’ home in the 2700 block of Blockhouse Court.

Some of the volunteers know Dawkins and her family. But many people who don’t had been moved enough by Dawkins’ disappearance to come out on a hot, sunny weekday to help with only about 24 hours’ notice of the flier response.

Robert Davies, who drove from Kernersville, said he happened to be riding his bicycle on the High Point Greenway last Wednesday when he met two women discussing Dawkins’ disappearance. He followed the case since then and came Tuesday to help.

“It’s about community,” he said.

Dawkins’ daughter, Rhonda Neal, said Tuesday morning that she and her family were awed by the turnout. | 336-888-3528 | @HPEpaul

Chamber moves into Congdon Yards

HIGH POINT — Business High Point-Chamber of Commerce reached a milestone this week when it moved its offices to the Congdon Yards campus.

The transition officially brings all of the chamber’s staff of 11 full-time employees downtown from its previous headquarters at 1634 N. Main St., which was sold to High Point University in May for $2 million.

“It brings a sense of unity to the team because we’ve been working out of two campuses for a long time,” BHP Chamber Chief Operating Officer Rachel Moss said. “It’s helping our mission of being able to serve the business community by having everyone under the same roof.”

BHP Chamber led the development of Congdon Yards and operates the campus, which includes offices for several other nonprofits and businesses, meeting and event venues and work space for startup businesses.

Chamber leaders in 2021 decided to move to Congdon Yards to drive new initiatives, broader programming and deeper engagement with its members, while supporting the economic development of downtown.

Moss said the staff officially vacated the N. Main Street building — a 23,000-square-foot former retail rug store donated to the chamber in 2005 by Zaki Khalifa — on Monday.

HPU plans to use the former chamber portion of the building for a practice associated with its proposed new dental school.

Visit High Point has leased space in the building since 2014 and will remain there under the new ownership.

Moss said the chamber is using temporary space in Plant 7 at Condon Yards until its permanent offices are complete in the Factory portion of the campus, which is undergoing extensive renovations that are targeted for completion in early 2023.

In addition to the chamber, Theatre Art Galleries and 33 smaller work spaces for lease, the Factory will feature specialty cocktail lounge Earl’s Landing and a family restaurant that’s not been named yet.

The upper floors include the existing Loft at the Factory and 20,000 square feet of conference center space that will be a new feature.

Moss said Plant 7 is fully occupied and tenants are starting to sign leases for spaces at the Factory. | 336-888-3531

Teenager killed in head-on collision
  • Updated

RANDOLPH COUNTY — A teenager from Trinity died and another was severely injured, while two other people were less seriously injured, in a head-on collision on a road in northern Randolph County Monday night.

Sidney Brittian Langston, 18, of Trinity, died at the scene of the wreck, according to the N.C. State Highway Patrol.

He was a front-seat passenger in a 2004 Acura TSX driven by Emily Jane McAllister, 18, of Trinity, going north on Finch Farm Road near Saddle Club Drive about 9:10 p.m. when it went left into the opposite lane and collided with a 2016 Ford Escape SUV driven by Monica Lannett Jacoby, 57, of Trinity, the patrol said.

Neither Langston nor McAllister was wearing a seat belt, the patrol said.

McAllister had serious, life-threatening injuries and was taken to Moses H. Cone Hospital in Greensboro. No other information about her injuries or condition was available.

Jacoby and a 14-year-old passenger were wearing seat belts and had serious injuries that were not considered life-threatening, Master Trooper Brian Martin said. They also were taken to Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital. No other information about their injuries or condition was available.

The investigation is ongoing and charges are pending, according to the patrol.


freestar.config.disabledProducts = { stickyFooter: true };